Monday, October 12, 2015

Have You Seen my Husband?


Bonar Bridge - Crask Inn. 25 miles



Today was a relatively short day as I was only going as far as the Crask Inn. There were two reasons for this, the first being a lack of accommodation and the second being that a couple of weeks ago I had met a cyclist who had said that he would never pass the Crask Inn without stopping. I decided I had to see why.
Sometimes it pays to be dairy free

The day started very misty but by the time I was ready to leave the mist had began to lift. I arranged to meet Richard in Lairg, the only place en route that we might get a coffee. He then headed off to take some photos while I headed for Lairg. The road climbed gradually first alongside the Loch and then through open country. It wasn't long before I arrived in Lairg but there was no sign of Richard. I phoned him and he was still in Bonar Bridge!
There wasn't very much to Lairg but there was a coffee shop called The Pier which was next door to a Spar where I was able to buy some almond milk which meant I could have a cappuccino. The display of cakes looked delicious but were all unsuitable for me, but they offered to make me up a meringue with fruit coulis instead.



Two old birds
As I didn't have far to go we lingered over coffee then retraced our steps to see the Visitors Centre, before continuing along the route which went across moorland and through forests. It was a lovely road that was single track and very quiet and in 16 miles I only passed two houses.
The Inn stood on its own in the middle of a vast open landscape. Electricity was supplied by generator the water was from the burn and peats and logs burnt on the fire. Kai and Mike cooked evening meals for the guests from their own produce.

1 comment:

  1. How nice of the coffee shop to come up with a lovely dairy free alternative. Whenever that happens to me I end up with a very nice but uninspiring fruit salad. I'm intrigued by the 'sculpture' in the last photo. My imagination is running wild! Is it anything significant? Brilliant to hear you have reached Dunnet Head - and John O'Groats tomorrow - going to miss your blog! Many, many congratulations on the terrific sum you have raised for Toilet Twinning, you have been fantastic both in your endeavour and your fund raising. Enjoy going back home to Mull :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete