Thursday, October 1, 2015

Coffee and cake...at last!

Day 35. Callander - Crianlarich 30.35 miles

Lochearnhead
It is lovely to have Richard with me for a few days. We had a very leisurely start to the day as breakfast wasn't served until 8.30 but I only had 30 miles to go and it was a beautiful day.


The first 20 miles would be off road along a disused railway line and then 10 miles along the A85. Sheila and Colin form Mull were going to join me on their bikes for part of the way. They had caught the 8.40 ferry and would drive up to where the trail met the road and then cycle towards me.
Sheila, Colin, Clootie, Bannock, Theo and me
The trail started almost opposite the guest house we had stayed in. I arranged to meet Richard in Strathyre where I would come close to the road, about 10 miles away.  It was a wonderful ride alongside a river and then Loch Lubnaig, it was very still and the reflections were stunning so I was in no hurry.
Viaduct on route Loch Lubnaig
Richard had bought a stove specially for the trip so we could have a brew, he had also bought some homemade cake. I had some coffee bags so for the first time on this trip it was coffee and cake!
We tried to arrange our next meeting point which was difficult as I didn't know exactly where the trial would meet the road. I set off knowing that I would meet Sheila and Colin within the next couple of miles. When I saw two people stop their bikes and take up their cameras I knew it must be them. After exchanging welcome hugs we got back on our bikes and continued along the trail. Shelia gave me warning of a very long steep hill that was to come, when we reached it Sheila and I got off our bikes and pushed and I was very glad I was not fully loaded. Colin cycled a little further but also joined us for the long push. Once at the top it was a flat ride all the way.
Arriving at the end of the trail where Sheila and Colin's car was park I had thought they would head off, so I was delighted when they said they would join me all the way to Crianlarich. After a rendezvous with Richard some lunch and a bit of bike care, Sheila and I started cycling while Colin took the car down to Crianlarich and then cycle back to meet us.
Before Sheila and Colin headed back for the ferry we enjoyed a cup of coffee and looked at maps and my route to come. But first it is a day off before I head up Glencoe.

5 comments:


  1. Hi Mally,

    Really nice that you have spent a few days with Richard and had some lovely weather during your time off. The weather back on Mull has been at its best and l even got out on my bike following in your footsteps!! I did think about you and all the miles and all the cycling you have done and l felt l should make a special effort to stay on my bike up the big hill out of the village!!
    Looking forward to cycling to the Ardnamurchan with you on Sunday 😎 Fi and Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS those two question marks were supposed to be a smiley face with sunglasses!! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday Mally, sounds like you are having a fabulous birthday back 'home' and with Richard and the dogs. Loving reading of your journey. It's inspiring me to do a similar journey - probably....................by car!!!!! Lots of love, Cathy :-) xxx

    Message from Dad : happy birthday Mally, Cathy has been reading your blog to me and I've really enjoyed hearing about your exploits. I'm so impressed by your epic journey and your blog brings back happy memories of my days cycling. It's great you have such a chain of people, networks and friends to welcome you and help you on your journey. Lots of love and hugs, Dad xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pleased you're with Richard over your birthday & such nice weather for it. Happy birthday! love Mairi xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy 60 th Mally! Looks like a beautiful place to be for it.x

    ReplyDelete