Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Minions in Bodmin

Day 7 Wednesday 2nd September

Two days blog to catch up on and I am still pushing the bike!


Left my Snoozebox at the Eden Project to head Callington via Bodmin moor. At least it was easier to find my way out than it was in. I wove my way through the lanes which were quiet but needless to say they were hilly with high hedges. After I had been riding for a couple of hours I saw a sign for a nursery which had a cafe so I decided that when I reached it I would have a coffee but first I had to get to the top of the hill. When I got there it was a small nursery in someone's garden where coffee was served with wonderful homemade cakes, just what I needed.

End to Enders
Refreshed I headed on over the moor, to the top at Minions and then down (well most of it was down) all the way to Callington. Where I was having my first night with a Warm Shower host. Ian was great once I had had a cup of tea and a shower he cooked me some supper and went over the following days route and reasured me that it would be the last of the difficult days in Cornwall by Thursday I would be in Devon. He also took me to an acoustic night at a pub.

Not quite at the top.
This morning after breakfast Ian checked and then put some air in my tires and I was on my way heading for Dartmoor. First stop was to be Tavistock where I would have a coffee. When I arrived I met a group of End to Enders having a break, they had the right idea, all were on road bike and there tea waggon was carrying all there luggage. They were surprised at the weight of the gear I was carrying on my bike, and no back up. I was given a cup of tea and a banana had some photos taken and then I headed off up the hill. They soon caught me up and passed me when I was pushing again!


The rest of the day was a mixture of long rides up and down with lovely views. It was a relief when I was finally dropping down into Exeter, Stuart had kindly cycled out to meet me to guide me to his house avoiding the rush hour traffic.

3 comments:

  1. Good to hear your up-date and that you have made it into your second county. Well done. It is good to hear you are meeting great people en route, it must really enhance your journey and make it really fascinating. I too think it is brilliant you are doing it on your own without back-up. I visited Exeter last year when I took Lynda for a hospital appointment, we had plenty of time to see the city which I thought was lovely especially the craft galleries along the riverside. That is where I bought my painting. The nursery you visited sounds just like the one I work at - small family run, located in the back garden, with a summer house for drinks and home-made cake...................and we get passing cyclists, motor-cyclists and tourists dropping in for a cuppa and cake :-)

    ReplyDelete