Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Roller coaster Revisited


Day 40 Glenborrodale. - Corran. 32.05 miles
My bike needs a service!
Thank you Jenny and Dave for hosting me in your lovely home. There is a lovely view across the sea to Mull and Tobermory lighthouse. Having been to Ardnamurchan and being so close to Mull I would have loved to have gone home.
After a good breakfast which included grape juice pressed from home grown grapes and was delicious, I reloaded my bike. I was reluctant to start as I had to retrace my route back to Corran so I knew exactly what lay ahead. Sixteen miles of single track roller coaster road followed by a long drag through the glen. The forecast was for rain and easterly winds that I would have to cycle into.
My plan was to cycle as far as Strontian where I knew there was a café. But after only a few miles on the hilly single track road and the wind against me my hip was complaining. There always seemed to be a car coming towards every time I came down a hill where hoped for some momentum up the next hill, so again a lot of pushing was involved. When I got to Salen Jetty Shop I stopped for coffee. I'm glad I did, I had a cappuccino made with almond milk, and it was the best coffee I have had for ages!
Once refreshed I continued to Strontian another eight miles of hills and wind, and a plan was forming in my head to stop there for the night. After a cup of tea and a bowl of chips I went into the tourist information centre and booked a bed at Corran bunkhouse for the night, which gave me the incentive to cycle the next 12 miles through the glen. The road was very exposed so I could feel the full force of the wind, but the climb was gradual and once in a low gear I made slow progress without having to push. At least the promised rain was holding off. Going down the hill was equally as difficult l was still having to pedal hard, but at least I was now travelling at the great speed of 6 miles an hour.
It was with great relief when I arrived at Corran ferry and the bunkhouse was just across the Loch.

1 comment:

  1. Hope the rain kept off for you today Mally. Been thinking of you whilst working and getting soaked in the rain today, we had very heavy and prolonged rain showers - still at least I get paid to work in the rain!!! Hope tomorrow is better for you. You are making great progress :-) xx

    ReplyDelete