Monday, October 5, 2015

The Most Westerly Point and onto the Home Leg


Day 38 Salen - Ardnamurchan - Glenborrodale. 43.31 miles

I left Salen just after 9 o'clock and hoped for a quiet road as it was Sunday and early, so I was surprised when there was a steady stream of cars coming towards me. The road continued to be a roller coaster ride but it was a beautiful day.
I had arranged to leave most of my luggage at Jenny and Dave's house, about 8 miles along the road and were I would be staying for the night. Once I had dropped it off progress was much easier.
Fog horn Ardnamurchan
Sian, Chris and Mary were joining me for the ride into Ardnamurchan. They had to come via the Loch Aline ferry as the Tobermory ferry has stopped running on Sundays. Sian and Chris had brought there bikes and would cycle with me from Kilchoan and back, this would give them enough time to return to the ferry.
Before we set off for the final 6 miles to the point we all enjoyed a coffee and cake in the Craft café. Sian, Chris and I set off on our bikes, Mary would follow in her car. When we arrived we had a photo call, although we couldn't find anything that marked the most Westerly point, so used the lighthouse.
We went into the café for a well earned cup of tea. I was surprised when the girl who was serving congratulated me and I wondered how she knew. I then noticed the banner that she had been asked to put up. It had been too windy to hang outside. Thank you so much to the people who had made and arranged this (I think I know who made it but can't be certain).
Having refueled we headed back to Kilchoan into the wind. It was difficult to say goodbye but had been a lovely day and it was so nice to have friends to share the most Westerly point.
I could see their car disappear up the hill which took them about 3 minutes,
Looking towards Mull
and I wondered how long it would take me to get to the same point. I was surprised that only 10 minutes later I was at the same spot. The road was a long steady climb up and a lot of the time into my enemy, the wind. Only once did the combination of wind, bad road surface and my knees get the better of me and I pushed. I was very pleased when I finally saw the turning for Jenny and Dave's house.
On Friday when I was cycling to through Glencoe, John (my brother) had said that this would probably be the most spectacular days cycling of the trip. He obviously hasn't cycled on the Ardnamurchan peninsula. It is stunning! Especially in the sun.
Looking towards Skye
Thank you to Mary, Sian and Chris for joining me and to who ever made and took the banner to Ardnamurchan. I am now heading north for the final leg of my journey.

You can donate to Toilet Twinning by clicking here


2 comments:

  1. So sorry not to be with you at the lighthouse. We were with you in spirit though! Fi

    ReplyDelete
  2. The banner was me Mally, I dropped it off on Saturday and did the cycle that you had planned for Sunday on Saturday so that is how the girl in the cafe knew. Thought it was a special milestone so couldn't let it go un noticed. Enjoy the rest of your journey.
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete