Tuesday, October 13, 2015

The Most Northerly Point



Day 48 Melvich - Mey. 37.28 miles

Dounreay
Richard and I both woke up early, but it took us a while before either of us would get out of our warm sleeping bags as it was so cold. This was not a bed and breakfast just a bed, but I knew I would need something to eat if I was going to cycle the 16 miles to Thurso. So breakfast consisted of Clootie Dumpling (thanks to Elizabeth in Inverness) a black banana and a cup of black tea. I was on the road by 8.10 it was too cold to hang around.
First sight of Dunnet Head through the haze
My route was easy now as it ran along the north coast of Scotland with one detour to Dunnet Head. Although I was cycling along an A road it wasn't too busy and I had views out to sea. It wasn't long before I could see the faint outline of Dunnet Head. After a few miles the road dropped down from the moor and there were trees and hedges again. I hadn't realised how much I had missed them. The weather looked threatening out towards the sea and I hoped that was where the rain would stay, but just as I passed Dounreay the heavens opened and I got a soaking. Fortunately it didn't last too long.
As the road drops down into Thurso it meets the A9 which come in from a junction on the left, with the road I was on having the right of way. I could see a large articulated lorry approaching the junction and had a feeling he wasn't going to stop. Sure enough without looking my way he pulled out. Fortunately I was paying attention and was able to brake in time, at which point when he was half way across the road he looked, saw me and also stopped.




After a coffee in Thurso it was only about another 10 miles to Dunnet Head. As the road passes Dunnet Bay it starts to head north and I was now heading into the wind again and would be until I reached the Head. But I made to the most Northerly point with just enough time for Richard to take a photo of me, before we both made a hasty retreat to the car to avoid the second downpour of the day. We sat in the car and ate some lunch. With the help of the wind the rain soon passed.
For the first time on this trip I would have been happy not to get back on my bike but the feeling, like the rain soon passed and I headed back the way I had come this time with the wind behind me! It wasn't long before I arrived at The Hawthorns in Mey where we had this time booked a bed for the night.

3 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS MALLY!!!!! What an amazing achievement. Love and best wishes from us both xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big congratulations!! Well done! You are amazing, you have done so well & I am so proud of you xxx

    ReplyDelete