Thursday, October 8, 2015

I Hate Gates



Day 42.  Laggan - Inverness   44.42 miles
The weather forecast was for rain all day and when I looked out of the window there was a fine mizzle and a grey sky so I started the day in waterproofs.
Having put some air in the front tyre, I left the hostel and headed for Fort Augustus along the Great Glen Way. This part of the way had just been upgraded for cycling and had a very good surface. But obviously someone who had never ridden a loaded bike had chosen the first two gates. The first one I came to was a large metal gate with a smaller opening in the middle that had to be stepped through and required lifting the bike over, but there was a small space to one side for a person to walk through. Both options involved taking the panniers off. This might sound easy but I can assure you it isn't and takes a certain amount of care or the bike will full over.
Once through the gate and reloaded I set off again, then 300 metres later I came to another gate and had to unload my bike yet again. It was then a lovely ride along the side of Loch Oich for about 4 miles to Oich bridge and yet another gate. This time it was at the top of a steep incline on loose gravel. It was all I could do just to keep the bike upright. The gate opened towards me and there was nowhere to stand the bike while I opened it. Fortunately the swing bridge operator saw my predicament and kindly came down and opened the gate for me. It was then a further six miles along the side of the Caledonian canal to Fort Augustus.
A walk in the rain
By now I was already quite wet and I knew that there was a steep climb ahead, so decided to stop for a coffee and to my surprise a dairy free cake.  The climb up the hill was as bad, if not worse, than predicted and I was soon pushing the bike. The hill continued for about four miles and l was only riding for about half a mile. Still not at the top, I stopped for a breather. An American in a car stopped to take a photo and I asked him how much further to the top, he replied about two miles and got back into his car. As he was about to drive away he wound his window down and called out, it gets much steeper.
Looking back
I finally saw a blue P sign for parking, this must mean there was a view point and maybe the top! It was then down hill all the way, well most of the way to Foyers where I knew there was a café. The rain had become a lot heavier and by the time I arrived at Foyers I was wet through and cold. I was so pleased to find that the café had soya milk and ordered a large hot chocolate. Tea just wouldn't have hit the spot.
Feeling slightly revived I put on another layer and the my wet jacket and set off again. I still had another 20 miles to Inverness along the side of Loch Ness. Sadly I didn't see the monster, in fact I didn't see much all day as the cloud was so low and obscured any views, but I did see five red squirrels.
I think the weather is clearing
I arrived at Elizabeth's house by about six o'clock. Once warmed with a cup of tea, a shower and a lovely dinner I was able to sit down and watch the final of Great British Bake Off before heading to bed.
Around 11 o'clock Elizabeth knocked on the door. She had heard there had been good sightings of the northern lights and was going out to see if she could see them. Unfortunately by the time we got there the show was over but the sky was definitely a shade of green and there where people wandering around in pyjamas and dressing gowns.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Mally. my friend Sarah and I are in Edunburgh for a few days. so sharing the unpredictable scottish weather with you. wishing you lots if luck for your final push north. love from Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to get to watch the great British bake off final! We were vouching for Nadiya all the way! Really pleased to see her win!
    Sorry you didn't get to see the northern lights. Really glad you enjoyed your stay in Inverness. Hope you've had a good ride today too. Love M x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not too much longer now Mally, but how exciting to be so far North x

    ReplyDelete