Sunday, September 13, 2015

Which one is mine?


Days 14-15 Aylesbury - Papworth - Thurston 58.84 & 52.28 miles

I am back on the road.

Oh crikey! Which one is mine?
I left Aylesbury at about 8 o'clock minus my panniers and dry bag and a much lighter bike! Aoiffe was going to meet me on route for my coffee break, so was lightening my load until we met. We arranged to meet in Ampthill. I passed through a lot of places today ending in hill! We found a lovely vintage cafe called Cakestand and Crumb where they had some wonderful cakes, though I had a coffee and cookie. Once refreshed I reloaded my bike and headed off for Biggleswade.
More twinning required.
Biggleswade was my favourite place name of the day. It is lovely and once had 54 pubs, though it now only has 10. As I approached the town I stopped to check my map. A lady also on a bike pulled in behind me and asked me about my Toilet Twinning shirt. After I had explained and we had chatted for a while she gave me a generous donation. Thank you.
I arrived in Papworth Everard by about 5.30 and spent the night at Alasdair and Salman house. We talked about the route I would take the following day and  Alasdair convinced me that it would be easy to get through Cambridge.
The M11. It's better by bike.
At 9 o’clock I headed east out of Papworth Everard towards Cambridge. After about a mile I reached the cycle route. It was a very easy ride, well signposted and I got through Cambridge without any problems, taking me alongside the River Cam. I was now on cycle route 51 and was cycling off roads for about 6 miles. Route 51 would take me all the from Cambridge to Thurston were I would be staying for the night.
Oh crikey! Which one is mine?
Following a cycle route is a bit like being on a very long treasure hunt, the clues being the little blue signs, these were often hidden in hedges, sometimes they came every 100 yards and at other times not appearing for miles. Through the towns and cities they are great and could even make whole towns completely disappear, but though the lanes they took magical mystery tours and added too many extra miles!
Today although not as many miles was a very hard day, the wind was blowing from the east and so I had a head wind all day. I started this tour in the South in the hope of having tail winds but so far have only had cross winds or head winds hopefully this will change when I start to head north.
Route 51 sign
Thank you to everyone who is following this blog it's lovely receiving your comments and emails. I'm sorry if I'm not always able to reply.
Sorry to hear about your accident Pam, I hope you are now on the mend and will be on your bike again soon.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Mally Glad you found your way around Cambridge OK. Great that you're picking up donations as you go! Hopefully, the wind will change direction- at least it's not as windy as up here!

    Lovely to track your progress. Much love, F n P

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to catch up again, looking forward to seeing you on Tuesday when you get to this part of the country x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mally, it's good to follow your trip. The Tour of Britain came through Derbyshire on Friday, right through the road at the end of Middleton. Friends have loaned me their exercise bike, so I am already back in the saddle (kind of). Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mally,

    It was great meeting you last week and I'm glad to hear you got through Cambridge easily.

    I went to see the 'magic roundabout' in Milton Keynes and got a couple of pictures but can't work out how to send them to you. Manage to navigate my way round without bumping in to anyone but it certainly was a bit confusing!

    Good luck with the rest of your trip - I'll be following your blog as you go.

    Alasdair

    ReplyDelete