Monday, August 31, 2015

A Long Walk Home


Day 4 - Sunday 30th August

King Harry Floating Bridge
I started cycling at about one o’clock having attended the Quaker meeting at Come to Good. To avoid the A390, a very busy and fast road, I decided to pick my way through the lanes. This was easy as I left Carnon Downs but as I got closer to St Austell it became increasingly more difficult. At one point the quiet road ended at the A390 and I had to choose between cycling along it or turning back and finding a quiet route. I chose the latter and managed to pick up a cycle trail for a while. As there were no signs I took to asking people to direct me to the Eden Project. Everyone started their answer with, "It's a long way" something I didn't want to here. I finally arrived at Trethurgy the village above the Project and there I saw my first sign for Eden. This took me down another cycle trail, but I still couldn't see it and wondered if I was going the right way. I had stopped to phone the hostel when two cyclists appeared and I finally heard the words I wanted to hear, "You are nearly there".

Having booked in at the hostel I found my Snooze Box unloaded my bike and took it to the lock up. A cyclist appeared from nowhere and helped me hang the bike in the rack. He and his friend were cycling the End to End from North to South and only had two days left before reaching Lands End.

Today has been a hard day. I thought I was on a cycle tour, my mistake! I'm on a walking tour and instead of carrying my kit on my back I just happen to have a bike which I am pushing around Cornwall! However I was reassured  later when talking to the End to Enders that they had also been pushing their bikes a fair amount.

2 comments:

  1. The King Harry Floating Bridge featured on a children's tv programme I was watching with Orla, Lynda's granddaughter whilst I was with them - bit coincidental, I thought as I'd seen the signs to it the day before, then it has been mentioned by you!! It was good to see you the other day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you had a hard day on Sunday, look forward to Norfolk, I know it's a way away, but it will certainly be flatter!

    ReplyDelete