Sunday, September 27, 2015

Crossing the Border


 Day 31 Wooler to Innerwick. 50.55 miles

Friday was a most welcome day off, especially as the wind was still blowing. I had the privilege to stay in a cabin which used to be the nurses accommodation for the isolation hospital that is now Eleanor and Geoff's house. I hadn't seen them for several years so we had a lot of catching up to do.


Border Crossing
Eleanor's Cabin
First thing in the morning we had a lovely walk on the moor with their 5 dogs. Then it was into Wooler for Eleanor to have her nails done. I have never seen nails being gelled before so went along for the entertainment, and found myself disappointed that I couldn't have mine done. I would have had them the same colour as my cycling shirt with bicycle wheels! Eleanor was the last person I would have expected to have her nails painted. As soon as we arrived back she went straight out in the garden to clean the chickens out and tend to the vegetables.
The following morning feeling rested I reloaded my bike to head for Dunbar. Today I would arrive back in Scotland!

My coffee this morning was going to be at the Chain Bridge Honey Farm, the last coffee I would have in England as the Chain bridge goes over the Tweed which is the boarder into Scotland.


Cycling today was so much easier, although there were still hills they were more gradual and the wind had dropped, so I made good time and thought I would arrive  by about 4.30. That was before I realised that the road would climb for about four miles, this was over a moor and passed a wind farm. I like wind turbines but the combination of the noise they make and the empty moor made for a very eerie feeling. Having climbed for such a long time the reward was great, a long ride down with wonderful views of the north sea coastline and towards the Bass rock.
The last few miles I had to pick my way though little lanes to avoid the A1 and I had a great feeling of relief as I cycled into Innerwick and I found Elisabeth's house and a warm welcome and a much needed cup of tea.

You can donate to Toilet Twinning by clicking here

2 comments:

  1. Horray, you've made it back to Scotland. Well done. Fantastic news. So much excitement, back with friends and Richard will be joining you soon, the next part of your journey will be a real celebration and I look forward to reading about it. Great photos Mally. Happy cycling :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! Well done - you're back in Scotland! You're getting along really well. We love to hear what you've been up too xxx

    ReplyDelete