Monday, September 14, 2015

Turning Point

Day 16 - 17 Thurston - Southwold - Winterton-on-sea 52.98 & 36.07 miles

Thank you to Ian and Clare from Warm Showers who put me up on Friday night despite being out for the evening. After my warm shower I went in search of supper in the form of fish and chips, and then spent the evening vegging out.
Loo of the day
Before leaving, Ian provided me with a good breakfast and a loan of some OS maps. Having first mapped out a good route to Southwold, he then joined me for the first six miles making sure I was on the right road.


I had one of my best rides so far, the roads were gently rolling past flint churches and pretty villages, but best of all the wind had changed direction and although it still wasn't a tail wind it was now only a cross wind.I saw lots of people on bikes and was asked several times if I was enjoying visiting the churches. When I arrived at Blyford I stopped to take a look and find out more. Four cyclists were just leaving and they told me that it was a yearly event of open churches in Suffolk and Norfolk. People cycled to as many churches as they wished to raise funds. I hope I've got that right. (I met two of the cyclists, Gwen and Chris, the next day. They had visited 24 churches).
Blyford Church

I arrived at Sarah's, my next Warm Shower host by about 4 o’clock. Once I’d changed we both headed off to the beach on our bikes for a birthday party. When Sarah's friend heard I was staying she invited me too. It was a lovely evening sitting in a beach hut watching beautiful skies and listening to the sound of the sea. We then had a bike light ride along the river to the harbour.
The following morning Sarah and I shared biking stories over breakfast and looked at my route for the day which would take me to Lowestoft, the most easterly point. She then came with me through quiet country lanes to get me past the A12.
Ness Point that way
The day started well, and thanks to Gwen, Chris and Emma who all helped me to find the way to Ness Point. I'm sure it would have taken a lot longer without them. Ness Point was very different to the Lizard but fortunately one person did pass by and took a picture of me.
I am still not sure which county Ness Point is in, as the boundary between Norfolk and Suffolk is the River Waveney and Ness Point is north of the river.
Ness Point
I then headed to The Crows Nest for a celebratory coffee and a bowl of chips. By the time I left it had started to rain. I managed to find my way out of Lowestoft and headed towards Great Yarmouth. I found my way through by keeping the sea on my right and heading north. This was not as easy as it sounds as there is a refinery between the sea and the road. It took me about an hour to get to the other side and was by now getting very wet and cold. I decided to cut my day short as I had no bed booked. So with Mairi and James help I found a B and B in Winterton-on-Sea. I was so pleased when I was shown my room and there was a bath, and it wasn' t long before I was dry and warm again.
The turning point
Fakenham tomorrow and then a day or maybe two off.

2 comments:

  1. Well done! You are doing so well! Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on getting to the coast. You have hit the second of your High Points. The Blog is wonderful - interesting, informative and entertaining with great pictures.
    Keep pedalling .....
    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete