Friday, September 18, 2015

20 Toilets Twinned and 40 To Go


Day 21 kings Lynn to Kirkby Underwood - 59.29 miles
I am now over a third of the way through my tour and I would like to say a big thank you to everyone who has donated to Toilet Twinning. I haven't got an accurate count of toilets yet but I do know that is now over 20, so I am on target for 60 toilets. The picture is of Mairi's toilet which was the first one that was twinned.
Toilet Duck
I left Kings Lynn a bit later than I had hoped for as Tony didn't finish the bike until about 11 o'clock, but it was worth the wait as I now have lower gears. The saddle and handle bars have also been slightly adjusted and tyre pressures checked which will make for a more comfortable ride. I loved my bike before but I love it even more now!
Mark kindly cycled with me as far as the bridge over the Great Ouse, to guide me on a route that avoided the town centre. Thank you Mark.
The first 10 miles or so as far as Sutton bridge were covered fairly quickly as there was a bit of shelter from the wind. But once over the Nene the landscape opened out and I could feel the head winds.
Sutton Bridge
Once into Fenlands there was no escaping the westerly wind as the landscape is very flat with enormous fields, and very few trees or hedges. I headed for Spalding then Pinchbeck. There were no hills but I rarely got out of 3rd gear. The worse bit was the road from Risegate to Dowsby a 5 mile very straight stretch of road across the fen with very few houses and nothing but fields, many growing cabbages and still into a head wind. Eventually on the horizon I could see trees and a hill, what joy!
By the time I arrive at my destination my legs were struggling to keep turning the pedals and I don't think I have ever been more pleased to arrive and get off the bike.

2 comments:

  1. I love Mairi's toilet. My goodness what a long way you had in such dreadful winds. I understand totally about winds in flat areas, they are incredibly hard work, I remember from my cycling days only a few years ago when I was a little younger! I think one of my hardest rides was in the flatlands of the Netherlands. Having stopped at the end of the day and sat down for dinner, afterwards when I went to get up I nearly collapsed on the floor as my legs had completely ceased up!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you decided to get to King's Lynn on Wednesday so you didn't have so far to go. The most boring but is over now though - well done! X

    ReplyDelete